Very interesting, Mike.

The only thing I did with the PDP11 was get it to read the paper tape
output from the scintillation counter, then do a curve fitting program
that was previously all done by hand on a calculator. So I sort of knew
computers and got a job in the NMR lab when they were doing
FastFourierTransforms, and hoping to invent some imaging.

But I had gotten physically strong lugging around heavy research
journals at the various libraries around campus. So it was only natural
that I move to the country and lug firewood instead when I burned out.

You are right, some few sucked the money out of computing. But I forget
who they are, now that Arduino programs over Linux.