On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Erik Mitchell <erik.mitchell at gmail.com>wrote:

> Holy crap StartSSL does basic SSL certificates for free!? Not sure if
> someone mentioned this and I missed it, but this is new information to
> me.

They do, but their CA cert is missing in the default trust store of a few
older browsers, which may or may not be an issue.

I use StartSSL extensively to protect development sites and
internal-use-only type of sites, where it's not cumbersome to have other
employees import and trust StartSSL's CA cert if needed.

As an aside, people that have used StartSSL already know this, but they're
one of the few websites out there that use TLS client-side certificates for
authentication. I *so much* wish other sites would start doing the same.

-Erik