I don't know a lot about cinnamon or gnome, but have you tried uninstalling
and reinstalling cinnamon? You may have to move your config files elsewhere
for that to work, but it's an idea if you're not seeing any errors being
printed by cinnamon. Alternatively you could install KDE or GNOME to get
you through your mentoring session, provided this problem is specific to
cinnamon and not the X Server.

Hope you get it figured out!

-Andrew