On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Adam Barthelemy <adam at askewview.net> wrote:

> From what I can tell from the few minutes of research I've done it appears
> that all of the RAID options their "BeyondRAID" uses supports some sort of
> redundancy (Single and dual depending on RAID type).
>
> If a single drive is dying and the other one is healthy he should be able
> to just replace the dying drive and allow parity to rebuild or the disk to
> re-mirror.

His Drobo died and he bought a replacement, but when he transferred the
drives to the new Drobo it started spitting out errors and Drobo support
indicated that one of the disks was giving errors. Since the new Drobo
hasn't yet finished its initial setup process if he replaces the dying
drive it aborts, saying initial setup hasn't been run yet.

If he is concerned about data loss I'd grab an external USB drive and rsync
> the data between the Drobo and the external to have a backup copy in case
> things do not go well during the rebuild.
>
> If the array is toast then you're most likely looking at some sort of
> professional recovery service unless Drobo support has suggestions on how
> to get the array back online read-only to recover the data.

Drobo will do it for several hundred dollars, and he has gotten a quote
from a pro recovery place. As you can imagine, the cost is quite a bit
more.

One thing to always keep in mind: RAID is not a backup.  I've had to state
> this too many times recently.  While it prevents data loss from a disk
> failure (or multiple failures) it is not an excuse not to have a good
> backup.

Yup, and he knew it too. He had treated it as a big network disk, and has
fully acknowledged that he was too lazy to get proper backups set up.

Maybe I'll try imaging the bad disk to a new disk and if that doesn't work,
I'll tell him cough up the money for the Drobo recovery.

--
Michael Moore