Here's what I do:

Prepare for a stolen or broken device (just in case, not because Italy is
terribly dangerous).

* If you're taking a laptop, back everything up before you go.
* Bring extra memory cards, and leave most in the hotel each day, if
possible.
* Back up your memory cards at the end of each day in case your camera gets
wet or stolen during the day.
* If you're planning on having internet access, consider backing stuff up
to the cloud or a personal server regularly.
* Waterproof cases for stuff if you're going to the beach.

--
Michael Moore