All of the drives are in a single external enclosure?

How is that enclosure connected to the rest of the PC?  USB? (2? 3?) eSATA? FireWire? Something else?

If eSATA, then you may be having issues with a port multiplier.

In any case, it's really hard to troubleshoot by guessing. So, if you'd like further help to address performance issues, maybe you could provide a full hardware and software description of the system. :)

Thomas