On Wed, 6 Nov 2013, Thomas Lunde wrote:

> ZFS' scrubbing, checksums, snapshots, etc. have won me over.

It sounds quite nice, but I guess the use of the CDDL license has gotten
in the way of its development for Linux because the CDDL is a
free-software license but not GPL compatible.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CDDL

Apparently, ZFS was developed by Sun Microsystems which was bought out by
Oracle.  So there is an Oracle version, called ZFS, distributed under the
CDDL, and there is a "truly open-source successor," called OpenZFS, also
distributed under the CDDL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenZFS

I'm not sure how they differ.  In this thread, when people wrote about
experiences with ZFS, were they really talking about ZFS or OpenZFS?  Or
are they almost indistinguishable functionally and in terms of
reliability?

(Open)ZFS sounds pretty spectacular.  I'm sure I'd love to try it.

Mike