Paul,

Most of us (ok, some of us) run our own mail servers, so we're not using
hotmail or gmail or anything else. And our mail readers are usually quite
old-school and allow us to do cool things.

What you can do, I guess, is create your own PGP keys using GPG on your
desktop, then write all emails in a text editor and save them to a file,
then manually use GPG to sign and/or encrypt them (in ASCII mode) and then
paste the resulting file into Hotmail.

To decrypt/verify a signature, you'd have to do the reverse (i.e., save
the "text" of the email to a file and run GPG to decrypt/verify.

I don't think Hotmail has anything that'll do that for you. There used to
be a service called Hushail that used to do that.

Is that what you're looking for, in general?