I can't figure out why anyone would put any value in the distrowatch
numbers.  Only a tiny tiny tiny tiny percentage of the people who use Linux
even know it exists and the majority of those who do don't go there.  It's
numbers are truly valueless and even worse they're easily gamed.
 The Google trend numbers are slightly more interesting  but even those I
wouldn't put much stock in.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=debian&cmpt=q