Hello, I have installed the 'wireshark' through the LinuxMint13 repositories and have discovered that I do not want to run the program as root which by default it seems to be set up to do.

I have entered and run the following command in terminal 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common'.

Output is as follows:

Dumpcap can be installed in a way that allows members of the "wireshark"  │
 │ system group to capture packets. This is recommended over the             │
 │ alternative of running Wireshark/Tshark directly as root, because less    │
 │ of the code will run with elevated privileges.                            │
 │                                                                           │
 │ For more detailed information please see                                  │
 │ /usr/share/doc/wireshark-common/README.Debian.                            │
 │                                                                           │
 │ Enabling this feature may be a security risk, so it is disabled by        │
 │ default. If in doubt, it is suggested to leave it disabled.               │
 │ Should non-superusers be able to capture packets?                         │
 │                    <Yes>                       <No>

I then have selected <Yes>.

Now upon entering the following command 'wireshark' in terminal, I get an error message. 'Couldn't run /usr/bin/dumpcap in child process: Permission denied'

So further investigation into the '/usr/bin/dumpcap' directory yields the following:

-rwxr-xr--  1 root   wireshark  66K Apr 12  2012 dumpcap

So should I be using 'chown' here to change root to paul? Paul is the user's name who is trying to run 'wireshark'. Do I need to add Paul to the wireshark group?

Thank You,