> The difference I am wondering about is how the command responds to ctrl-c. For me, it looks like it deleted some directories and left others completely untouched.  The "*" glob expands to a list of directory names, so I suspect the ctrl-c breaks the command after it finishes on the current filename argument.  Thus, I think ctrl-c might not stop "rm -rf /home" until it is done.

When I get commands like that which I need to terminate, I do:
ctrl-z
kill -9 %1

I have used photorec (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec) many times and come off looking like a hero to friends and family. I haven't used it with ext3 before, but it is in the list of supported file systems.

--
Michael Moore