On VMS, you can configure a system to make auto-backups. It does this by
placing a semicolon at the end of each file and having a number increment
each time the file is saved.  Thus, you can get listings like:

thesis.txt;1
thesis.txt;2
thesis.txt;3
joke.txt;1
paper.doc;1
paper.doc;2

While in college, I was working the lab and a user came in asking for help
with his account.  It was full and he couldn't save the latest revision of
his paper. I was already working two calls, so when he asked "how do I
remove files from my account", I answered without thinking:  " DELETE *.*;*
"

In about twenty seconds, I realized my mistake, but the damage was done.
His files were all gone, during finals week, and I didn't have access to
the backup system to restore them.

Oops.

-Josh