On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2013, Paul graf wrote:
>
>> Mike have you ever used 'opendiana' I am curious about that operating
>> system as well as 'Solaris'.
>

> No.  In fact, I hadn't even heard of it.  Maybe that's because I've been
> using Linux instead of Solaris for several years and really not thinking
> about going back.

OpenIndiana is the rebirth of OpenSolaris after Oracle bought Sun.  I
use it for tinkering (I work in a Solaris shop) but I've never used it
for any real production work.  Unless you NEED Solaris for some reason
(dtrace has been previously discussed) there's little reason to switch
from linux.  ZFS is readily available in Debian, just install the
zfs-fuse package and you can tinker with it.  I prefer ZFS over
mdraid/LVM because it seems to be more robust and much easier to
manage.  The downside, of course, is that it's closed source courtesy
of Oracle so you have to assess your priorities.  I run ZFS on my
linux virtualization server and I think it's awesome, of course YMMV.

I think it ROCKS that in the technology age we live in, is how easy it
is to spin up a test machine and tinker.  So, if you're thinking of
trying something new... well, go for it!

Brian