I'm working with a programming language that wants to use x/inetd. What is it and what is it for? My research says it's for "internet," and then talks above my head. Can anyone explain it in basic terms and give examples of its use? For example, here's one explanation:

xinetd listens for incoming requests over a network and launches the appropriate service for that request.[2] Requests are made using port numbers as identifiers and xinetd usually launches another daemon to handle the request. It can be used to start services with both privileged and non-privileged port numbers.

Any "best/typical" uses I could peruse?

LB
GM,MN