On Thu, 9 May 2013, Erik Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is something cool and useful that I do with find.  Suppose I have
>> a directory "foo" and that has a directory tree inside it with
>> thousands of files.  I want to copy it to some other machine,
>> remote_host, and after it arrives, I want to check that it's all there
>> and unchanged.
>

> $ rsync  <source> <dest>
>
> Will do essentially the same thing, minus all the manifest file
> rigamarole...

Do you mean that it checks the files during transmission and that it is
impossible for it ever to fail?

But how do you learn anything by doing it that way?  ;-)

More seriously, I sometimes have important collections of files (for my
work) that I like to have the md5sums for.  If a file is ever corrupted,
I'll be able to tell because I keep that md5sum file.

With rsync, is it possible for the process to be killed so that not all of
the files are copied over?  I still like the idea of confirming that the
files were correctly copied.

Mike