On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 09:53:04PM +0000, Brian Wood wrote:
> Up till now I've just been building a static library.
> Now I want to also create a shared library.
> I'm trying to figure out how to compile the files
> without the fpic option for the static library and
> then add fpic and recompile the files for the shared
> library.  I'd like to do this from one makefile.

Why is that a requirement?  Can that one master makefile call two
other makefiles, one that produces the static library and the other
that produces the shared libary?  Or it might be even the same slave
makefile, that is called with different arguments (to insert fpic on
the compiler command line, for instance).

Clearly you need to generate object files in two separate directories,
or you need to name them differently.

Cheers,
florin

--