Can you look at the headers, either with Curl or with something like
http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ ?

If you're doing HTTP redirects in either code (eg. PHP) or .htaccess
the redirect might be redirecting to http::/fqdn which would imply
:80.

The headers will tell you if that's what's going on.
--
Michael