Ok folks, it's "Alsa Is Driving Me Crazy YET AGAIN" time.

My media center computer's SSD (which is ancient and crappy) is thinking
about dying, and I wanted some different software on there (DOWNgrading
MythTV to 0.24, in fact) so perfect time to throw a new drive in there
and start from scratch since I have a backup.

Now I can't get sound to work right.

These are both Ubuntu systems, the new one is 12.10, the old one, uh.
Probably 12.04 via updates.

I... remember going through a lot of trouble to get alsa to work correctly
in the first place, including giving m full surround sound etc. Now the
thing doesn't even show I have the surround channels.

Here's the thing. I copied over .asoundrc. I even copied over all of
/usr/share/alsa from the previous installation. Still nothing. At one
point I managed to get SOME surround sound but the channels were a mess...

Anyway, before I go looking for an alsa-list with it's crazy amount of
unhelpful snark, I figured I'd throw it on here.

Does anyone know exactly what I need to copy from the old installation to
make it so alsa has the exact same configuration?

TIA!