this is a brand new setup - brand new machine, brand new OS install, brand
new RAID array and drives, so nothing can really be out of date (:
mdadm.conf does not have an "ARRAY" line, but from what I've heard it
doesn't need to have one.

Like I said, you reboot enough times and it works fine. I really think
it's some kind of timing issue. I do hear the drives spin up and the
correct LEDs on the array box DO light up. I'm not seeing any error
messages, nor do I know where to look for them, is the problem.