The pro-Solaris guy, Ian Collins, has replied ...

> Dtrace is a better system performance evaluation tool, and that's
> about the only thing that *Solaris has 'better' than Linux at this
> point.  The Sun^WOracle Studio C/C++ compilers runs just fine under
> Linux as well, if you need second set of diagnostics (it usually helps
> to keep code clean and portable).

DTrace can make a big difference and is one of the main reasons we (my
clients and I) use Solaris bases OSs.  Being able to probe a running
application without having to restart or mess about with logging levels
is a huge win.  It also helps keep the source free of messy logging
code.  An excellent real world example is PostgeSQL:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/DTrace

> OpenSolaris is slowly becoming like MacOS - it only runs on certain
> hardware configurations.  The 'uber' UNIX hackers at Sun wanted to
> keep all the goodness for themselves... now, they can have it, since
> nobody else can run it, should they want to.  The *BSDs have much
> better hardware support.

It runs on just about anything modern and I always fit a decent NIC if
the motherboard has a grotty one...

That's the end of Ian's reply.  While I'm here, a reminder to
be careful while driving when the sun is close to the horizon.
I heard of two accidents this morning in this area that both
were in the eastbound traffic and seem to be related to
impaired vision due to the sun.  I'm thankful to have not
had many accidents and hope to avoid them going forward.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises -an ounce of prevention is worth more than