But if it fails after the OS is done booting, why does it dump you into
busybox?  I think that happened to me only when my updated kernel was not
being found because it had been written to the wrong partition.  That
shouldn't happen in a brand-new setup, though.  Under what conditions does
busybox make an appearance?

Mike