Florin Iucha writes:

> Dtrace is a better system performance evaluation tool, and that's
> about the only thing that *Solaris has 'better' than Linux at this
> point.  The Sun^WOracle Studio C/C++ compilers runs just fine under
> Linux as well, if you need second set of diagnostics (it usually helps
> to keep code clean and portable).

I agree that using multiple toolsets is helpful.  Linux/G++ is my
favorite.  I've used Windows and Visual Studio as a secondary
toolset for a number of years and have been surprised that it has
helped me find 3 or more problems that I wasn't finding with
Linux/G++.  Recently I installed clang on Linux and it helped
me find an error (repeated in 4 places) that the other two had
been missing.

> I used to run it in a KVM virtual machine, just for testing purposes.
> I tried to run it on bare metal, but the lack of hardware support
> reminds me of Linux circa '97.  Case in point, I have motherboard
> (EVGA with dual onboard Gigabit 3COM/Marvell controllers) that Linux
> runs smoothly on.  Solaris works as well, and even has driver for the
> family of NICs that include my particular model, but my NICs PCI ids
> are blacklisted due to some bug that was sitting in a bugzilla for two
> years.  It did not reach critical mass with enthusiasts so it does
> have a bleak future for hobbyists.
>
> OpenSolaris is slowly becoming like MacOS - it only runs on certain
> hardware configurations.  The 'uber' UNIX hackers at Sun wanted to
> keep all the goodness for themselves... now, they can have it, since
> nobody else can run it, should they want to.  The *BSDs have much
> better hardware support.

Hmm.  Yeah, I hear about dtrace and am interested in that.
Heard a little about it being ported to Linux, but haven't
checked into that.  Your point about hardware though
might not matter to me other than it being a limiting
factor in terms of what I'd buy.  If there remains some
"goodness" to Solaris that might be what I need since this
is for my datacenter.  I posted your answer to the C++
thread and maybe the pro-Solaris guy there will reply.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises - in G-d we trust.