On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is anyone using OpenSolaris?  I know Oracle closed Solaris
> development, but there are derivatives of OpenSolaris.

I think OpenSolaris is dead (thanks Oracle!) but OpenIndiana is still
out there.  I've used OpenIndiana, as well as Solaris for x86.

  I'm using
> Arch Linux, but am thinking about the following comments from
> a C++ newsgroup.

>> In my opinion Solaris (and the numerous OpenSolaris derivatives) have
>> better developer tools than Linux, especially for analysing applications
>> (and the OS) in a production0n environment.

I think you need to have this person elaborate a bit more.  Yes, there
are some Solaris customized tools but I wouldn't jump to a completely
different OS based on some random newsgroup post.  Linux has a very
robust suite of tools,

  I'm thinking that eventually I may use Solaris
> from Oracle so using OpenSolaris before that might be a good idea.

As I recall, Solaris 11 is free in non-production use.  Unless you
have a reason to run open source, may as well just jump in to the full
OS.

Brian