On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:11:50AM -0500, Michael Moore wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Brian Wood <woodbrian77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I click on the links to source code here --
> > http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html
> > , Chrome downloads the file contents.
> > I'm not sure, but may have seen that with
> > another browser also.  Is that something that's
> > changed?  I have a link to an archive on that
> > page that can be downloaded which has all of
> > the files linked to on that page.  So I don't want
> > a browser to download individual files,but to
> > display the contents of the file on the screen.
> > Tia.
>
> That page is telling the browser that the content is of type
> "application/octet-stream".  Since Chrome doesn't know how to display
> application/octet-stream, it prompts you to download it.
>
> What changed could be the browser, the server, or your memory :-)
>
> It could be that the browser's default behavior changed from showing
> application/octet-stream as plain-text to downloading.
> It could be that the server changed from sending the files as
> text/plain to application/octet-stream.
> It could be that you only thought you remembered it working that way.

... or it could be that last time, the browser checked the octet stream
and found it containing only printable characters, and gave it a shot
at displaying it.  Now, you might have slipped a control char or some
high-byte and the browser is taking a 'safe' approach.

Cheers,
florin

--
Sent from my other microwave oven.