You can disable and/or remove the lens features that go to Amazon. This
article has a lot of good info, including how to do that:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

To install a new wm in Ubuntu:
"sudo apt-get install openbox" (or similar, or use the software center),
though in my experience you have to hunt around for the window manager
chooser - it's that little circle near the login box.

You could also install an Ubuntu variant, such as Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu
(Xfce) or Lubuntu (LXDE) to have the window manager fully configured (and
without Unity installed at all).

--Adam