Erik Anderson:

> OK, brief networking stack lesson here.
>
> IP, the basis for all of these technologies, is a Layer 3 protocol.
> TCP and UDP are both built on IP. They are Layer 4.
> HTTP, SSH, SMTP, DNS, etc. are all built on TCP or UDP. They
> are Layer 7 (application) protocols.
>
> So, when dealing with say HTTP, you're not *only* using HTTP, but >you're
also using each level of the stack below that the protocol
> was built on. In the case of HTTP, the stack goes something like
> HTTP/TCP/IP. For DNS, it's DNS/UDP/IP.

I'm aware of that.  I guess this is a difference in terminology.
I think of UDT as replacing UDP in the application even
though UDT uses UDP.

Iirc, we previously discussed ssh tunnels and IPsec in
this newsgroup.  As long as I keep using ssh tunnels, I'm
locked into using TCP.  So using UDT rather than TCP
between my back and middle tiers isn't an option unless
I stop using ssh tunnels.  I'm still thinking about using IPsec.

> Excellent choice. I've been a die-hard apache fan for most of
> my sysadmin years, but have switched nearly every system
> I can over to nginx in the  last six months, and couldn't be happier.

That's good to hear.  I started using nginx yesterday evening.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises - so far G-d has helped us.