I hope I'm posting this correctly, I just signed up yesterday.  I've been
wanting to find some linux users here in the cities to share knowledge with.

I recently installed Linux Mint Debian Edition (or LMDE).  This is a
rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.  I would recommend this
distro to any newcomer.  It's highly customizable, and full featured.

The install is basic, no problems.

There are a few desktop environments that this comes with, I prefer XFCE.
 I was a dedicated Ubuntu user for years until they came out with Unity.

I have since moved on to Arch, but that's for another post.

If this posting is incorrect, please let me know.

-August