All internet traffic in Minnesota does not rely on the 511 building. Multiple carriers have network paths out of Minnesota that include no reliance on the 511 building at all. Some of course do fall into the category of complete reliance on 511.

There are a number of Colo facilities in the local twin cities as mentioned, though who they all use for their own upstream providers varies from Colo to Colo.

Having spent a lot of time at 511 I will say Cologix, formerly FWR/MN Gateway, has some nice facilities and a lot of good carrier access. I personally estimate the risk of impact from stadium construction to be low for 511 overall.

-------- Original message --------
From: Ryan Coleman <ryanjcole at me.com>
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Dealing with power outages

Just a heads-up: I spoke with US Internet about this a month ago... the
rent is 20% higher at the 511 building than it is at their Minnetonka
colo... And on top of that with the new stadium, the concerns of the
fiber being breached... I'd rather put my gear in MTKA than DTMpls -
even if the fiber is breached and thus Minnesota completely loses
internet... I'm leery of the construction site.

For those of you who do not know the new Vikings stadium will actually
sit on top of the 511 building and the entirety of Minnesota's high
speed internet service runs through this building. If you think the
semi-annual cutting of the fiber to the North Shore is bad (and the loss
of 911 service for 24-96 hours) this would be FAR worse.
Moving the 511's fiber run would take 3-5 years and cost upwards of
$10,000,000,000. That's a lot of fusion splicing that could go very wrong.

I'm concerned, not worried, that something will go very, very wrong.