> It's not a dumb question but the answer is that you should put a partition on the disk. The partition table does more than just carve up the disk. Even if you are using the entire disk, create a single partition on it first and format that with whatever file system you plan to use.

I know it carves up the disk, has flags indicating the partition type
and other flags such as the boot flag.  I suppose in the
no-partition-table scenario Linux must use some sort of detection to
figure out what file system is being used.

Is there something else I'm missing?

> Seriously look at using a volume manager like LVM2. It makes file system maintenance so much easier.

I probably will next time I do a clean install, but I'm not sure what
it would bring to a single external USB disk scenario. I plug these
disks in once a month, rsync my family photos, videos, music, code and
important documents, and unplug them again.

--
Michael