There is a lot more to supercomputers than just core count, but that
is an easy mistake to make and even people in supercomputing are prone
to making that mistake. Yes it takes many cores(and not all cores are
created equal, a 2 core Intel Atom running at 1.5GHz is easily beat by
a Intel Core 2 Duo running at 1.5GHz) but you also need storage,
interconnect and RAM.

You need the bandwidth to connect the cores to the RAM and to the
storage. RAM is obvious I think. Storage on the other hand many people
forget about but it is just as important, remember that you will need
to feed your processors the data to work on and it will most likely
come from storage. And it will go back to storage post-processing so
your storage will need to be fast enough to stream it back on while at
the same time reading the work to be done still!