Here's the follow-up to Poruges previous post on Photoshop.  --Mike

   --

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/photoshops-new-rental-program-and-the-outrage-factor/

N.Y. Times
July 5, 2013

Photoshop's New Rental Program, and the Outrage Factor

FDDP The Times's technology columnist, David Pogue, keeps you on top of
the industry in his free, weekly e-mail newsletter.  Sign up | See Sample

My review of Photoshop CC on Thursday -- especially its availability only
as a rental, with a monthly or yearly subscription fee -- generated a lot
of reader feedback. Some of it was astonishing.

Here's a sampling, with my responses.  Q.

Can you rent for a few months, stop for a couple of months, resume as
needed, stop as desired? That could have advantages for non-pros.  A.

Yes, you can. That's the purpose of the month-to-month rental programs
($30 a month for a single program, like Photoshop). Of course, having the
software is much less expensive if you agree to rent for an entire year
($240 a year instead of $360).  Q.

There is an alternative to Photoshop you didn't mention: GIMP. It has one
big advantage: it is free.  A.

Many readers wondered why I didn't mention the free GIMP program. It does
indeed do most of what Photoshop does. I've found it to be even more dense
and complex than Photoshop. But since it's free, everyone who's unhappy
with Adobe's new rental program for Photoshop should definitely give it a
try.  Q.

Good article but you fail to mention what happens with plug in programs.
Many of us find programs like the Nik series to be much better at doing
some adjustments than Photoshop. How does CC handle this?  A.

Exactly the same way. Remember: Photoshop CC is a program that you
download to your computer and run from there -- exactly like previous
Photoshop versions. Nothing changes in the way it works with plug-ins.
Q.

Does Adobe actually pay you for mindlessly reprinting their press releases
and calling it "news"? An actual journalist would have at least mentioned
that huge numbers of Photoshop users are FURIOUS about this sleazy move by
Adobe and are refusing to go along with it. More than 35,000 people have
signed a Change.org petition to demand the restoration of the perpetual
license. Lots of people are going to be seriously hurt by your
journalistic malpractice.  A.

I was stunned by the number of readers who came away from my column
thinking that I am a fan of Adobe's new rental-only program. In fact, I
thought that I had written a 1,300-word condemnation of this practice.

"You have to pay $30 a month, or $240 a year, for the privilege of using
the latest Photoshop version," I wrote. "Adobe isn't offering the rental
plan -- it's dictating it. The 800-pound gorilla of the creative world has
become the 1,600-pound gorilla."

I then listed alternatives to Photoshop, and concluded: "Nobody knows what
improvements Adobe plans to add, how many, how often, or what the
subscription rates will be next year or the year after that. Adobe is just
saying, `Trust us.'"

As for the Change.org petition with 35,000 signatures: Somehow my readers
managed to miss this paragraph in my column:

"The switch to a rental-only plan may sound like a rotten deal for many
creative people, especially small operators on a budget. And, indeed, many
of them are horrified by the switcheroo. A touching but entirely hopeless
petition (http://j.mp/1aynMtK) has 35,000 signatures so far. (`We want you
to restart development for Adobe Creative Suite 7 and all future Creative
Suites,' it says. `Do it for the freelancers. For the small businesses.
For the average consumer.')"

It's possible that what angered these readers so much is my reference to
the petition as "touching but entirely hopeless." This is not a put-down
of the petition. This is a simple acknowledgment that companies like Adobe
have already factored in the anger.

Remember when Netflix raised the price of its most popular DVD
rental/streaming-movie price by 60 percent? A million people canceled
their Netflix subscriptions.

An employee told me at the time that, incredibly, Netflix's spreadsheets
showed that the company would still come out ahead, even with the mass
defections. Netflix had already factored the anger into its business plan.

And that's exactly what Adobe's spreadsheets show. Even if the predicted
number of angry customers abandon Photoshop, the total annual revenue for
Photoshop will increase as a result of the rental-only program.

That's why the petition is utterly hopeless. Adobe won't change its
course, because Adobe doesn't care about those people. It already
considers them a lost cause.

It's very clearly a case where customer happiness is being sacrificed for
more profit. And that's the most upsetting part of all.