I just ran across this article...

59% Of All Android Tablet Usage Comes From The U.S.,
And The Forked Amazon Kindle Fire Is The Most Popular Brand

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/27/59-of-all-android-tablet-usage-comes-from-the-u-s-where-amazons-kindle-fire-leads-the-pack/

...but the article claims, "Because Fire is built on a 'forked' version of
Android, the Google Play app storefront doesn’t appear on it."  That is
not true of the Kindle Fire I bought from Yaron (he advertised it here).
It does have Google Play.  I don't know if he had to do something special
to get it on there.  I do know that it is very important because it is how
I installed loads of software on the device, all for free (mostly free as
in freedom, too).

Mike