This discussion reminds me of a project called Litestep
(http://www.litestep.net/), which you could use to replace the Windows
Explorer shell on top of Windows XP. I used it for a couple of months,
and it was fun because I was using WindowMaker at the time at home, so
my work computer and home computer had similar interfaces.

There's more to an OS than just the window manager / shell. In fact,
you could argue that isn't even part of the OS. Of course, in the
Windows world, it's always been tightly coupled, so we rate an OS
based on the UI.

Anyway, Jason, I appreciate your interest in the landscape of
distributions -- I'm aware of more of them than I would be because of
you.

I checked out Windows 8 for a few minutes at Micro Center yesterday. I
figured out how to get past the flashy new tile thingy, and saw that
the old desktop and task bar looked pretty much the same. Found the
multiple desktop thing on the left side.

I think it's an improvement for people who use Windows. I don't
anticipate I'll need to use it for anything other than testing IE on
my web development work.

-Erik