I agree that change is not always good.

Using opensuse 11.3 with the repositories discs from osdisc.com I'm
re-discovering IBM's Visualization Data Explorer (opendx.org) for the
N'th time in over a decade. The incredible graphic analysis tool takes a
long time to learn. Thankfully, Motif is now open source and OpenDx runs
beautifully on IceWM with modern displays.

When they switched from StarOffice5.2 to the fragmented OpenOffice it
messed up my efforts to learn StarBasic, but they have really put that
back together.

As for Borland, I'm still taken with FreePascal that has wisely grown
around the Borland TurboPascal core. A truly great programming language,
among the many others on Linux.

Linux has some incredible tools that are not toys. An operating system
like this should not compete with a simple stereo CD player, or movie
DVD player.

I placed a new order to OSDiscs.com, this time for the 7 DVD opensuse
12.2 set. At 60 years old I'll be 70 before I test it out and need an
upgrade.