On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, Mike Miller wrote:

> One more thing -- I can use the Nexus 4 as a WiFi access point for my
> Ubuntu laptop.  Using 3G on the Nexus 4, I connect with the laptop and
> do pings and speed tests from the laptop.  I see basically the same as I
> saw with the 3G tests -- about 10 Mbps down and about 1.5 Mbps up.
> That's a really cool feature, to say the least.

After that I tried using a Windows 7 machine with it.  It worked too, so I
now had two laptops connected to the Android 3G access point.  Then I made
a 100 MB file on the Linux laptop and used pscp.exe to copy the file over
to the Windows laptop.  That worked great and I was getting a little more
than 18 Mbps throughput in the scp transfer, which should be fast enough
to stream DVD ISOs, for example.

I'm sure the battery was being used pretty fast when the phone was acting
as an access point.  Maybe it was using something like 20% of the battery
per hour.  I will usually have it plugged in when I use it that way,
probably in my car.

Mike