On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Andrew Dahl <droidjd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall my sister and her husband trying CenturyLink and it being
> unbearable, although we live in Woodbury where the highest rate you
> can get is 1.5Meg.  Maybe their 7Meg offering would be better, if it's
> available for you.
>
> Comcast recently hit me with that same increase (same promotion that
> ended even) -- If you do end up being able to successfully haggle with
> Comcast, you should let me know! :-)  I attempted it the other day
> with no success, unfortunately.

that sounds legally questionable to me, even if such a fee was
disclosed but IANAL. Call and give them the choice of downgrading the
service or canceling the service altogether, of course that means that
you have to actually cancel when it comes to it, but i have a feeling
you will get a call from the service retention department very soon
afterwards.

Back in the Qworst days the trick to making them not suck was invoking
the PUC, the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, which does monitor
and apparently fine the utilities for infractions. You can also call
the State Attorney Generals' office to make a complaint. Mentioning
either of these options should make them more cooperative.

That said, i have been with USWest/Qwest/CenturyLink for close to ten
years now, some ups and some downs... mostly depending on service
area. i have the 7Meg service with Real-Time as my ISP and i have not
had problems since moving to this house. unfortunately i cannot get
the faster ADSL+ service without ditching Real-Time.