No, it's the spec that must be compatible, not just the brand.  There are
other brands of CDMA spec phones.  There are some conditions of
compatibility for each system to swap carriers, according to eBay ads.

The GSM phone I had was the worst service and hardware I ever had.  Don't
miss it.
  T-mobile is a really bad provider, with various limits and extra charges,
and "screw the customer" plans.  AT&T isn't much better.

Ref:  Five of the top seven carriers in the U.S. use CDMA: Verizon Wireless,
Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, and U.S. Cellular.
         AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM.
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp>

> The sad thing is only two of the US providers use GSM...

The fact that 5 of 7 providers don't use GSM is a significant comparison,
IMHO.
We speak English here also: Esperanto never got major market share.  Some
choices are just practical, regardless of other opinions.

Chuck