On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, Wayne Johnson wrote:

> I had USI Wireless for a while.  The secure connection is the way to
> go.  The public connections are for their limited free access.

I'm glad to hear a confirmation of what I thought I was seeing.  Their web
pages didn't tell me to drop the public and switch to the secure after
paying, but they should have told me.  It would have saved a lot of
trouble.

> I used a laptop and monitored the signal strength to find the best
> location.  Never found anything strong enough to keep a good connection.

How do you monitor signal strength?  Does that just mean looking at the
icon to see how many bars or wave lines you have?  Or is there a way to
get numbers?

> After I dropped their service, they called and highly recommended their
> $49 professional installation to solve my signal strength problem.
> According to others I talked to, this included mounting an external
> antenna etc.  Those other users highly recommended their installation.

I'll bet it provides a consistent service, but I wonder how fast it is.
Do you know anything about that?  Is it always 1 Mbps both ways?

> By the time USIW called, I had already switched to Comcast Business
> Class broadband and have had 0 problems.  Much better that USIW or Qwest
> DSL.  YMMV.

I dropped Century last month because they had failed to reconnect the wire
to my house after a truck had taken it down, and I was pretty fed up with
their bad service.  But, when I called Comcast, I wasn't at all happy with
the guy I talked to and their price was higher for the bandwidth promised.
With CenturyLink I'm promised 40 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up, a speakeasy.net
speed test (Chicago) is showing 39.3 Mbps down and 15.7 Mbps up with an
ethernet connection to the router.  They want $30/mo first 6 months, then
$75/mo as a normal price, no contract.  I don't think Comcast could match
that or better it.  What did you find?

They finally did get a guy out here last night, and he went to the trouble
of raising the wire high enough in the alley that a truck will probably
never take it down.  So I think I'm going to be happy now.

Best,
Mike