I used USI Wireless at my old house and was very happy with it. I had
one of their "modems" with an external antenna, and always had strong
signal strength. I had clear line of site to a node, however, and
placed my antenna in a window so there was nothing obstructing the
signal.

One thing they mentioned at some point was that laptops typically are
not transmitting as strong a signal as their stations, and this can
lead to problems. Your laptop can receive their signal just fine, but
sending packets is a different story, and your signal strength
indicator doesn't show this.

-Erik