Thank you to everyone who responded!

0k, I'll reimage to Ubuntu this weekend... Hopefully it'll "just work," if not I'll connect my wireless router to the NIC port on my Clear Device... I'll report back my results..

My Clear router/modem has two physical ports + operates wirelessly. Both of their PCs will be hardwired to the Clear device. And central long located in the house. They've been using my laptop & hiding out in their rod w/it... Time to put an end that! My son is 14 and his sister is nearly 13. I haven't set up their computers since we moved into this house, which was a year ago...  (Gulp!)

As for my networking knowledge, ummmm...  I have owned Mike Meyer's Network+ book for 5+ years, & I've read it + referenced it... along with Google... but I haven't taken the Net+ certification exam &, to be honest, I would need to invest some significant time into studying before I'll be ready for that... I'd also probably need to get some new, updated, study materials for that...

But getting certifications in place is in my short-term plans... A+, Net+  and then??? Either Linux+ or Microsoft... I think I know which direction this list would steer me! ;) - or maybe not? My goal is to get away from hardware break/fix within the next 18mos, so a M$ Win7 and/or office cert may serve me well for moving into a desktop support position...

My kids' PCs have XP on them now, which despite my instructions, they didn't maintain with regard to the junk they download, while playing online games & such. They have been using my laptop & my son, especially, gunks up the system!

I'm hoping having them use Ubuntu will result in systems with a longer half-life before they hose their OSs - ha! Maybe, maybe not! This is an experiment. They already use open office for school work, so Ubuntu should be just fine for their needs...)

As for me... I have used Ubuntu in the past & I'll dual boot my system to that w/Windows the next time I reimage it... The website where I submit my work mileage & expenses only works in IE, so for that & to stay on top of things, I need to maintain a Windows 7 environment.

Thanks again!

Susan