Can't remember exactly where it is and can't look right now.  By
default, the external VGA is turned off in BIOS.  Maybe it is boot
options, or devices, but somewhere you can choose that both are
initialized and which order they boot.  LVDS then external VGA.  I had
the same problem, it isn't clear why it won't work until you switch it
on in the BIOS.