On this topic, I figure I should mention Arandr if you're not aware of
it (http://christian.amsuess.com/tools/arandr/). Very handy and simple
tool to generate scripts (saved in ~/.screenlayout) to call xrandr for
you.

Only took me a minute to create a dual.sh and laptop.sh, which contain
the appropriate xrandr commands to display on two screens and just on
the laptop screen, respectively. Mapped those to key bindings in
xmonad.hs and now I have a very simple and reliable way of switching
modes.

I've always been frustrated by this, not just in Linux. I've found
Apple does a good job in OS X, and now I'm just as happy with my setup
in Linux :)

-Erik