I haven't been following him lately, but this is one of the ChromeOS
developers, talking about getting Ubuntu on the Samsung Chromebook:

https://plus.google.com/109993695638569781190/posts/b2fazijJppZ

He has newer posts linking to others with success as well.  So you CAN
boot Ubuntu.  (I was pondering one, and throwing in an SDHC/SDXC card
with Ubuntu on it, but keeping the 'Chrome' install on the internal
SSD; as a lightweight portable machine but Woot put a Thinkpad X130e
up for $300 just before Christmas...)