I have this firmly in the "I'll Believe It When I See It" category. Plus,
to be honest, I'm fairly happy with Android on my phones. Heck, I can
install sshd and login to the thing if I want to. I don't feel the need to
be running Alpine or compiling code on a mobile device with a small
screen.

Now on my tablets, that may be a different story.