Some details on the internal chrome shell:

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/poking-around-your-chrome-os-device

That particular samsung chromebook has a reputation for running Ubuntu with
good benchmarks, though I didn't immediately find good instructions on how
to make it happen, and I don't know if the full range of drivers are
available. Also note that it uses an ARM processor, not x86.

--Adam