I was just looking at the specs for this Google Samsung Chromebook which
is selling for $249:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/education/devices/samsung-chromebook.html#specs

11.6’’ (1366x768) display
0.7 inches thin – 2.42 lbs / 1.1 kg
Over 6.5 hours of battery [1]
Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Processor
100 GB Google Drive Cloud Storage[2] with 16GB Solid State Drive

Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
VGA Camera
1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
HDMI Port
Bluetooth 3.0™ Compatible

[1] Battery life may vary based on usage or other conditions.
[2] 100 GB of free storage is valid for 2 years, starting on the date you redeem the Drive offer.

It says nothing about memory, but I think it might be 1 GB.  The two
others, which cost a lot more, have 2 GB and 4 GB.

Have any of you worked with Chrome?  I'm wondering what it is like as a
Linux distro - it is Linux inside, right?  If you've used it, what I am
most interested in is whether it is difficult to get gcc working, to
compile various little things, and which downloadable binaries might work.

According to Wikipedia, Chrome OS uses the Gentoo Portage package system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_(software)

I've heard some good things about Gentoo's package system.  Does this mean
that anything available for Gentoo is available to Chrome OS?

The one reason why a Chromebook with Chrome OS might work for me is that I
do most work by connecting via VNCviewer to the Xvnc desktop on my office
computer at the U, but within an SSH tunnel.  So the main considerations
are that (1) vncviewer and ssh will run on Chrome OS and (2) it has good
WiFi reception.  It seems that they are claiming to have great WiFi
reception, so that would be nice.

If I can either get VNCviewer package installation or download a VNC
Linux-32 binary, that would solve the other problem.  I don't know if that
is possible.  I'm assuming it can do ssh client out of the box, but let me
know if you can confirm or refute that.

Thanks in advance!

Mike