On 1/4/2013 10:04 AM, Smith, Craig A (MN14) wrote:
>> my 9yo daughter looks shocked and says the computer buzzed her.  i touch what she touched, floor grate and computer chassis, and buzzo.  so perhaps improper grounding might be a factor in mobo deaths?
>
> Many years ago, I got a shock from the metal chassis of my dad's reel-to-reel tape deck.  He said "unplug and plug it in the other way" (this was before the days polarized plugs).  I tried this and it worked!
>
> The explanation was that there was a high-impedance short between the power transformer and the chassis.  Plugging it in the other way moved the short closer to neutral (grounded at the fuse-box and the utility pole).
>
> Assuming you have a polarized plug, you might check your outlet.  You can buy a 3-led tester at the hardware store for less than $5.
>
> If you're using a UPS, then that may be at fault.

I assumed (shame on me) that by "tripp lite" that mentioned in his next
email was a tester of some sort... but I would think that along your
thought line there that testing on another outlet would work just as
well? Extensions suck but I would recommend that everyone have at least
one heavy duty extension cord in their homes of 25-50 feet in length.
They are worth every penny (I have four - but two are in my car for my
day job).