I tried to do this very same project. The auto loaders jam and it takes forever.

Follow Scancafe on twitter and wait for a 1/3 off (or better) sale. I realize that this sounds like an ad, but I'm just a happy customer.

 I'd been playing with slide scanners on Linux (e.g. a Coolscan LS-30 with Vuescan) since 1998 (!) & finally went the SC route. Wish I had done so years ago.

Thomas