> Ok, I have a tv capture dongle on my media center. It's a hauppauge
> xc5000-based device, and requires firmware be loaded for it to work.
>
> The problem is it can't seem to find the device four out of five times. So
> everytime I reboot, I have to reboot five times.
>
> I've tried to find a way to manually load firmware, but I haven't found
> anything. Anyone have any ideas?

I believe that firmware gets loaded when the associated kernel module
gets loaded.

If you can figure out which kernel module you need you should be able
to use modprobe -r to remove it (if it got inserted initially) and
modprobe to insert it.

If that works consistently then you could look into adding a file in
/etc/modprobe.d or the appropriate configuration place for your distro
which would delay inserting that module until the firmware is
available.

--
Michael More