Before you try a new card, have you tried installing nvidia's Linux
drivers? (http://www.nvidia.com/Download or possibly in your distribution's
software repository.) It could be your not taking full advantage of your
GPU due to driver/configuration issue, and if that's the case a new video
card wouldn't fix it.

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Erik Mitchell <erik.mitchell at gmail.com>wrote:

> I really can't make sense of the whole video card debate. On the one
> hand, Linus has blasted Nvidia, but for a long time I thought they
> were preferred among Linux users.

Nvidia hasn't released the technical information needed to create open
source drivers, instead releasing their own binary only drivers with
varying degrees of stability. Even so, nvidia was still the best option for
3D acceleration under Linux for a long time.

--
Andrew Zbikowski
http://andy.zibnet.us/